Seniors Come Share Society is seeking an Executive Director
For over 42 years, Seniors Come Share Society (SCSS) has been dedicated to providing older adults and their families with the services, programs, and resources necessary to remain educated, engaged and most importantly empowered members of our community. Currently, SCSS runs three Day Programs for older adults and 25 additional community programs with about twenty staff, and more than 180 volunteers who bring not only their skills but also their hearts to their roles.
Seniors Come Share Society is seeking an Executive Director to provide overall leadership to advance the Society’s strategic and operational direction, workplace culture, and stakeholder relationships. The Executive Director is also a high-profile community leader, advocating to stakeholders, governments, donors, and the media to advance the Society’s vision, mission, and strategic priorities. The Executive Director is accountable for the effective and efficient leadership and day-to-day management of the organization’s operations. This position requires a leader who is able to strengthen community partnerships and empower people through a broad range of senior’s services.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is accountable for the following:
- Overall strategic leadership and day-to-day operational management of all aspects of the Society;
- Leading fund development plans to realize programming goals of the Society;
- Advancing a positive workplace culture that is consistent with the Society’s vision, mission, and values;
- Cultivating and maintaining effective partnerships with stakeholders, governments, donors, media, and other service agencies;
- Building community partnerships and acting as the Society’s principal spokesperson and community ambassador, in order to advance its vision, mission, and mandate; and
- Building and maintaining a professional and collaborative relationship with the volunteer Board of Directors.
Further details of the above position responsibilities are in the full Role Description.
Qualifications and Competencies
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or a relevant field such as Social Work, Gerontology or Community Development is required. A degree in a relevant field will only be considered when combined with a strong background in business.
- At least 7-10 years of progressive experience at the intermediate to senior management level, preferably in the non-profit sector, or a combination of private sector and non-profit/social enterprise experience.
- Experience working in a unionized environment, preferably in a health care setting.
- Experience working in or a strong understanding of a not-for-profit entity.
- Experience managing a substantial operating budget and knowledge of financial management for a not-for-profit entity.
- Experience in or knowledge of fundraising principles and donor relations.
- Experience working collaboratively with other community leaders.
- A demonstrated passion for working with older adults.
- Experience reporting to a volunteer board is an asset.
- Strong business acumen.
- Risk-tolerant and willing to take reasonable risks.
- Strong initiative and entrepreneurial drive.
- Strong change management and relationship management skills.
- Caring, compassionate, and able to coach effectively.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency using Microsoft Office.
- Effective written and verbal English communication skills, including technical writing.
- Skills in public speaking and effectively addressing media enquiries.
- Physically fit to perform the above duties which may include sitting, standing, and walking for varying periods of time.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Drivers’ License and possess a vehicle insured for work purposes. Travel to other SCSS locations will be required (about 30% of the role).
How to Apply
This search is conducted by Realize Strategies. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF document.
Applications should be submitted by September 29th, 2019. All applications will be kept in strict confidence.
Seniors Come Share Society strives for meaningful employment from all communities and for its team to reflect the diversity of the communities it serves. First Nations, people of colour, and people across spectrums of gender, sexuality, age, and abilities are encouraged to apply.
Seniors Come Share Society
thanks all applicants for their interest in this position